Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I Am From The South

Dear Hassan,

The family house (in the South) was destroyed in the 80's because of Israeli attacks, the graveyard bombed, weeds growing until around a decade ago, when it was tidied up. Till this day, many of the tombstones are chipped, other are shattered, graves unmarked.

Today, my cousins, who work in South Lebanon, cannot leave. I have you to thank for that. Their car was turned back yesterday afternoon, and walking the 100 km is not an option. Maybe I would have done it; it would have been a peaceful week long hike, but I am much younger then their age of 45. Schools have shut down today; my mother woke up to the news that the airport was bombed. Bridges have been destroyed. The Israeli Navy has created a blockade. Thank you Hassan.

I wonder, what I will wake up to tomorrow? Do you know? Tell me if you do.

Hassan, the South is not yours to destroy. Lebanon is not yours to gamble with. If you had any dignity and honor, you would stop. You would cease and desist. You would not "tell with such high zest to children ardent for some desperate glory, the old lie: Dulce est Decorum est, Pro patria mori." You would stop, and release all the indirect hostages your actions have created. My cousins would be allowed to drive up on weekends, as they always have. My mother could go to her work in school. Families could reunite again at the airport. Yet, I know you will continue, simply because you are you.

Regards,
A Citizen from the South