Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Letter to Nasrallah

Dear Hassan,

I have no words to describe my thoughts and feelings when I first heard today's news. I had spoken to my family yesterday, and they were fine. Their reaction today was different; they were worried and scared. Because of you. And of you.

Anger is the least of my concerns at this moment; even if I were angry, it would not be at the Israeli Army. This is the quintessential tale of war and peace, and how the facade of development can be splintered with a person such as yourself.

Hassan, I wanted you to prove me wrong. I wanted you to take the right - the right, and not just the wise - decision. It has been clear for some time now that you will incite the Israeli Army into attacking Lebanon once again, but I wanted to be wrong. You have failed. You have failed 3.5 million people. You have failed yourself. You have failed your son.

The truth is that you have always been responsible. You share in the responsibility for Qana. You share in the responsibility for the Israeli attacks on the power station near my house 6 years ago, which set the country back decades. The blood of innocents has tainted your hands, regardless of what you say. "Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood clear from" your hand? No. You will "rather the multitudinous seas incarnadine, making the green one red."

Hassan, do you not question yourself? Do you never doubt your actions? Do you not wonder how many people you have robbed of old age?

Death is not yours to hand to others.

You have killed, maimed, and destroyed lives. Yet you continue in your self-declared righteous path. People have been killed because of you. People have killed because of you. You offer no solution but death, and the option you bring to the table is the most outdated and cliched one. There is no honor in murder, no dignity in crime, yet you insist on slicing through our lives.

Hassan, a time will come when you will pass away. What legacy will you leave behind? How do you want history to judge you? Who, or what, do you want to be remembered as?

The Israeli army may have pulled the trigger, but today's deaths are on your hands. Today's response is your responsibility. Today, it is my right to think of you as a traitor. A traitor to Lebanon.

Sincerely Yours,
Also a Citizen.