Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Universal hypocrisies

Edited

Today's hypocrisy is any verbal statement that is preceded with a denial. For example (in no particular order):

1 - I am not a muslim, but I like muslims.
2 - I am not a christian, but I like christians.
3 - I am not homosexual, but I believe homosexuals have rights.
4 - I am not black, but blacks deserve the same civil rights.

and my personal favorite:

5 - I do not support anyone (i.e. independent), but I truly think Party X sincerely cares about Lebanon and will do anything to make Lebanon better ...

4 Comments:

  • One can possibly argue that the word "ALL" in 1 & 2 will do make such statements less than genuine but how can you possibly argue with the impecable logic of 3 & 4. Are you suggesting that no hetrosexual can possibly support the human and civil rights of homosexuals? I have news for you. You are currently reading the views of a strong supporter of equal rights to homosexuals , hetrosexuals, gays, blacks, yellows, greeens , Arabs, Asians .... What is so disengenous about supporting equality and standing up against biggotry?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:58 PM  

  • dear ghassan,

    you have missed the point.

    it isn't, as you so eloquently put it, "supporting equality and standing up against bigotry" that is hypocritical, but it is preceding this support with a disclaimer that is. i wrote this in the very first line of my post.

    regards,
    l.

    By Blogger Lazarus, at 6:20 PM  

  • Laz,
    I still don't get it:-) (I must have graded one paper too many today).
    Seriously though, couldn't you say that those who make such statements are making sure that the listner understands that they support a position although they do not stand to make any personal gain from it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:00 PM  

  • Laz, the 3rd one reminds me of LBF discussion! :))

    By Blogger lifeflaw, at 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home