Friday, October 14, 2005

Revisiting the Past

Due to some events today, I began to look at things that were written - either by me, or to me - several years ago - from 96 onwards. One things led to the other - from letters to emails to personal stories to impressions and thoughts - and it was really interesting to see how things have built up since then. There are things that are depressing and nihilistic, others that are drenched with emotion, and others that are simply - for lack of a better word - happy. Here is something I had written in 98 ... and this is one of those things that I haven't changed my mind on - the repercussions of today's actions are potentially devastating ... although I do accept that "practically" war will always exist (and I'd be happy to be proven wrong), I still dream of the day that peace is the rule, and not the exception.

Anyways, it's posted below unedited ... although now, 7 years later, the cliches are obvious ... it was still revealing to read (for me, that is).

A Dark Cloud’s Shadow

The monotonous gunfire
And the occasionally fatal bomb
Are heard amidst the shouting, the screaming,
The wailing, the dying -
He looks out the window,
And watches, wide-eyed, the
Increasing number of bodies
Sprawled on the dark, red ground . . .
Watches as the dark clouds of the
Present shut down the future of many,
And he listens fearfully to the pain
Of dying life,
The agonizing howls that it
Unconsciously utters.
Oblivious of the glowing background
And the rumbling guns,
He is only aware not of
The causes of death,
But of the results of war.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home