Saturday, December 23, 2006

Riddle.

Around a week ago, I had a conversation with a friend about something he was looking into getting.

Question
: What were we talking about?

----------

Me: Your sister told me you were thinking of getting X?

Him: Eh walla. I think it's about time we get one. Almost everyone seems to have one.

Me: Where are you getting one from?

Him: This one is from A. We heard that getting one from B would be cheaper, but the quality isn't as good.

Me: Can you find them here?

Him: Eh, but we heard that ones that have already been here for more than a year have problems. We are trying to order it from outside.

Me: Can you choose the one you want?

Him: Yes. You go to one of the offices here, and you can choose from a pamphlet. It contains pictures and a short description.

Me: Well, what if you don't like the one you chose?

Him: Different offices have different policies. The one we went to allows us to use X for two months. If we don't like it, we can return it to the office.

Me: Sort of like a warranty.

Him: Exactly. And if we like it, we continue payment.

Me: And what will you do with X on Sundays.

Him: We'll just keep it in the house. I want this to last for more than a year!


----------

What were we talking about?

To see the answer, please highlight the white space below.

Answer
: A "maid" from Ethiopia. Although the more correct term is probably "slave." The cheaper one is from Sri lanka. The pamphlet contains pictures of their faces, with a description of age and other details. After two months of "testing" it, you then apply for a longer visa and a work permit; otherwise, you can return it for another one. And of course, they get basically no time off. Even on Sundays. Not even with friends.

-----------

4 Comments:

  • Dear L,

    I don't even know what to bemoan first: the fact that now there are catalogs for maids and that one can "test" them for 2 months OR the attitudes of your friend.

    Question: Are the attitudes different among different ethno-political groups? Ya'nii ... would "ethically/morally superior" HA people not have those attitudes?

    --MSK

    www.aqoul.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 AM  

  • MSK -

    although i can't speak on behalf of the higher layers of command, i'm willing to venture that being an HA member / supporter isn't the most decisive factor for/against such behaviour. but that isn't based on much concrete data ...

    and yes, it is quite reproachable. and unfortunately, quite common.

    - l.

    By Blogger Lazarus, at 3:34 AM  

  • This is one of the very many things that we need to change back home. Sometimes I wonder why I left then I read blogs and/or listen to the conversations among people from home and I remember all over again why I left and why for now I never want to go back. I, by no means, am claiming that people where I am are far better but at least where I am, I have the freedom to pick and create the environment I want around me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 AM  

  • Dear L,

    just remembered a conversation overheard at Spinney's Achrafieh:

    One middle-aged woman to another: "My Srilanki is a Philippina."

    And in Turkey the word for prostitute is "Natasha" ...

    --MSK

    www.aqoul.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home