Monday, December 05, 2005

Naharnet Replies

Last week, Kais pointed out an article by naharnet that was "misleading". That was followed by different and related posts (here, here, and here), and I decided to finally write them a letter, not really expecting a reply. I had sent my email to both Gebran and Ghassan Tueni, and it was in fact Gebran Tueni that forwarded my email to the "Naharnet Webmaster", whoever that may be.

The reply I got is posted below (I did change my name though ...) .


Dear Lazarus,

The story was simply trying to depict the general feeling in Lebanon about the showdown orchestrated by the two main Shiite factions in the Council of Ministers. We concede that Amal and Hizbullah do not represent the whole of the Shiite community but this is the feeling of the rest of the people in Lebanon.

Admittedly, the concluding paragraph of the story has inadvertently portrayed the whole Shiite community as acquiescent to the Amal and Hezbollah rhetoric. Although we are certain that this is not the case, we await the time when scores of independent Shiites would rise and give their opinion openly.

We sympathize with your outrage and share your feelings, but we do not think that an apology or retraction is warranted, because this reflected the general feeling in town that was generated by such action.

Thank you for your valuable comment.

Naharnet Webmaster

Note that Kais published the reply naharnet sent him, and the reply he sent back ... and although it's redundant for me to publish my letter now, this type of nonsense needs exposure.

What do you think? Is this what journalism should be? Also, I wonder how many others sent them a letter.

3 Comments:

  • Why a Shiite has to be Amal or Hizbollah?? What if a Shiite is neither/independent/...

    I do not follow enough news, but I realize that now things are portrayed as if "Shiite => Pro Syrian Occupation". That's awful.

    By Blogger lifeflaw, at 12:29 PM  

  • Until we hear other dissenting shiite voices, Naharnet's article rings true to me and many others.

    Why live in denial? The shiite's last March demonstrations should be your guide, not to mention the actions of their elected representatives in parlement.

    As the Lebanese saying goes, "Al soukout 3almet al rida"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:29 PM  

  • It's bad journalism. it's what I call stereotyping.

    By Blogger Ms Levantine, at 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home