Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Day at Fry's ...

Since my laptop has failed, I went to the nearest store - i.e Fry's - for some services. Already frustrated that I would have to install all my programs again on a new computer, and adjust all the settings, etc. - things that would take more than a day - I was really not in the mood for small talk. Of course, the Gods had other plans ...

Sandra (Cashier, with a cardboard smile): Hi. Did you find everything you needed at Fryyyyyyy's?

Me: Yes. (here we go again.)

S: Did you take a look at the new electronics section at the far left?

M: I'll do that next time.

S: Ok that sounds greeeaaaaat. Although I would probably do that now, since it has a lot of useful gadgets.

M: Here's the service bill I need to pay.

S: Oh thanks, I'll just run that into the machine. Would you like to pay with your Fry's card or a normal credit card?

M: I'll just use the normal one.

S: Well, would you like to apply for the Fry's card.

M: No thanks, that's fine.

S: Are you aware of the benefits you get with the Fry's card?

M: Yes I am. Maybe later. (Ok, I lied. I'm not aware of the benefits. Nor do I care.)

S: So this is a service bill. While I'm scanning this, just let me inform you about the great discounts we have on DVD's today.

M: (Shoo habibti? Yalla.) I don't buy DVDs. Thanks anyway.

S: Well then, you must watch TV, right? You can't miss on the special offers in that area! ( Ok, she looked genuinely excited. That worried me.)

M: Listen, Sandra, I'm sort of in a rush. How much do I owe?

S: That'll be XY $.

M: Great. (Pass on my card.)

S: Thanks. I hope you found everything you needed at Fry's.

M: (Wait. Didn't you just ask that?) I'm sorry, did you say something? I didn't quite catch that.

S: I said "I hope you found everything you needed at Fry's."

M: I'm sorry, I can't hear what you saying.

S: I HOPE YOU FOUND EVERYTHING YOU NEEDED AT FRY'S. (still with that cardboard smile.)

M: Oh. No. Has my card been accepted?

S: Yeah, just sign here. Would you please fill in this form and tell us what you didn't find?

M: (No.) Sure, I'll do that later and drop it off again.

S: Oh, we wouldn't want to bother you. You can fill it out now.

M: There, it's signed. Thanks. Take care. (Run.)

Note to self: Next time, pretend I don't speak English.

----------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home