Thursday, November 10, 2005

Playing with Lives


I mentioned briefly at the end of a previous post that

May the souls of those who were brutally and pointlessly killed in Jordan today rest in peace.


Around 60 people were killed. Hundreds injured. You can watch the destruction here. A wedding disrupted. What kind of memories will the people who suffered this have?

Al-Zarqawi's group, as expected, has taken credit.

Jordanian blogs have voiced their opinions, fears, and anger.

The only heartwarming aspect of this all, and I hesitate to use that word, is the solidarity of the Jordanian people. It is reactions like this which let me believe that T.S. Elliot was wrong, when he wrote "This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper".

But, I also worry. The coldheartedness of these terrorists - and in this case, there is no blurry line on whether they are or aren't terrorists - will only spread. I worry because these actions have become "normal" in Iraq. I worry because life has become but a word, and humans are looked at as statistics.

As one Jordanian blogger said, "Terrorists, go to Hell".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home