Friday, November 25, 2005

One Less Turkey

So today (well, yesterday, but I'm still awake) is Thanksgiving Day. Actually, to me it's a relatively meaningless day, but unlike last year, when I was invited by family and their friends, this year I had dinner with people more my age. During dinner I asked my friend what was so special about this day, and apparently most of the crowd heard me ... but none of the citizens could give me a convincing reason (besides the lines that are usually used). A Syrian friend explained it by saying that unlike the other holidays, this wasn't religious, so everyone could share it together, and that it isn't filled with commercial hype, in the same way Christmas is (which is overwhelmed by the issue of gifts). I like that reason. There was alot of food - turkey (with cranberry sauce, which I still don't understand), yams, corn casserole, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and halawet jibin (which the Syrian brought). The proof of my mediteranean blood was that I could eat while ignoring the warning signs my stomach stunned my mind with. The jovial conversation going on before the food was served was suddenly shut down for around 5 minutes while most of the Americans with us looked down at their plate and ate without pause. I found that strange. Part of the conversation was about Black Friday (November 25). This is the day the profit margins of retailers turn black (i.e. aren't in the red anymore). Some were planning on going down at 6 am in order to be there first. I won't be going down. I'll just wait a few weeks, then go down to Gilroy and shop for some clothes there. For me, a day or a month that is preceded by the word "Black" has a much more negative connotation than "shopping". Enough said. It was a good day, but all this food has to be burnt off somehow. In the morning I'll go jogging in the surrounding hills. Goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home