Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Eventually ... it'll all be over

My mother has been going to school / displacement camp for the past two weeks now. Or at least trying to. Driving what in "peace" took 20 minutes, and having to wait 15+ minutes just to fill gas (which is being rationed right now) isn't always appealing when not having slept at night. Coupled with the fact that my 83 year old grandmother now has a broken hip, life in war can get "slightly" overwhelming.

But enough complaining. Apparently, some are looking forward to winning. Not sure what that really means considering all that has happened. If it all ended now, on the condition that we lost, then so be it. I would just rather it ends.

Besides the fact that the salaries of both my mother and my sister have been slashed (as have all those working in the school), daily working with the displaced doesn't bring any smiles. The displaced get plain bread in the morning, a small portion of lunch at 2pm, and no dinner. According to some people, the displaced should just view that as a diet, whatever that's supposed to mean. My mother is worried that some of the children aren't getting any milk, so several days ago she went out and bought NIDO powder. Some of the children have been getting sick, but sadly, medicine is lacking. And then there's the question of what will happen when this is all over. Where will everyone go?

Eventually ... eventually, and I don't know when ... this will be over. A "new middle east" will be created, but it isn't going to be the one the protagonists of this war believe will be "born". At this moment in time, it doesn't look good, but I may be blinded by all the deaths and wounded and destruction and displaced. I may eventually be persuaded that it was "all for the best", but I highly doubt that. Wars are always hell. And this war of choice is no different.

----------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home